Merry Christmas from our Mission Partners!
First Presbyterian Church gratefully participates in God’s mission in the world through the following mission partners, whom we support financially and spiritually:
• A & J (names withheld for security reasons), India. FPC serves as the sending congregation for this couple and their children, who have recently relocated from a mission assignment in the UK to explore God’s call in India. “A” grew up in First Presbyterian Church.
• Larry and Courtney Sharrett, Bulgaria. Members of FPC. Their missional exploration focuses on the possibility of church planting in Bulgaria, where they have lived and served together since their marriage in 2009.
• Fred Foy and Cecily Strang, Kenya. Part of our church family since 2007, the Strangs are pursuing fulltime their long-standing mission work among the Maasai people in Kenya. Fred Foy works among church leaders in their region, helping to establish a center for theological training. Cecily’s PhD in Nursing focused on malaria prevention.
• Michael and Rachel Weller, Ethiopia. The Wellers are long-term missionaries of the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) with whom we have partnered since 2000. Michael serves as the PCUSA Regional Coordinator for the Horn of Africa; Rachel’s ministry focuses on Community Health Evangelism.
• One Great Hour of Sharing. A gift to One Great Hour of Sharing enables the church to share God’s love with our neighbors-in-need around the world by providing relief to those affected by natural disasters, provide food to the hungry, and helping to empower the poor and oppressed.
• Joy Gift. Each year during the Advent and Christmas season, we turn our eyes to Bethlehem and celebrate the wondrous gift of Jesus Christ, our Savior. By giving to the Christmas Joy Offering, you honor this gift by providing assistance to current and retired church workers in their time of need and developing our future leaders at Presbyterian-related racial ethnic schools and colleges.
• Five Cents a Meal. Cents-Ability is a small first step in the battle against hunger and poverty. Congregations invite every member — of all ages — to contribute a few cents at every meal. This simple act is an expression of thanks for what we have received. It is also a commitment to share with others in response to Jesus’ command “You give them something to eat.” When members bring their offerings to church on the appointed Sunday, all of those coins “make a joyful noise unto the Lord” as they are received and dedicated.
FPC Brazil Mission
Since 2000 FPC has supported the mission of Christ in Brazil. Our efforts have developed into a beautiful partnership with the Independent Presbyterian Church of Felipe Camarão, a small congregation in a poor section of Natal, Brazil. Through this partnership FPC helped to build and continues to support the Bethel School, which offers education and spiritual learning for over 150 neighborhood children Pre-K through Grade 2.
Felipe Camarão Presbyterian Church (Natal, Brazil)
FPC Ethiopia Mission
Through Michael and Rachel Weller, our PCUSA mission partners, FPC has maintained a deepening mission in the Western Wollega Bethel Synod in Dembi Dollo, Ethiopia. A focus of our support since 2006 has been the Berhane Yesus Elementary School, which offers strong academic and Christian nurture for 550 students from Kindergarten through Grade 6.
For more information, follow this link: http://www.berhane-yesus.info/
Dembi Dollo, Ethiopia
Click here to download a pledge card for the missions listed above: Download file
Please mail your pledge card and your check to Betsy Galliher, Church Business Administrator, First Presbyterian Church, 701 Florida Avenue, Bristol, TN 37620. Thank you!